Last night I received an email stating that Emily from The Absolutely True Blog of an Almost Teacher nominated me for the Liebster Award, which is given to new blogs. Even though I've been blogging for a while, this IS a new blog. :)
1. Link back to the blog(s) that nominated me
2. Nominate 5-11 blogs with fewer than 200 followers
3. Answer the questions posted by my nominator
4. Create 11 questions for my nominees
5. Share 11 random facts about yourself
6. Contact my nominees and let them know I nominated them
1. I have an strange obsession with the Target Dollar Spot section (like most teachers). I just can't stay away!
2. I can never seem to purchase enough post-its.
3. I won my fifth grade class spelling bee by correctly spelling the word, "representative."
4. I have developed a fear of snakes as an adult.
5. I like my cheeseburgers completely plain with just ketchup...like a five year old.
6. I was afraid to drive until I was eighteen. My parents pretty much had to force me to learn.
7. I could listen to Broadway musical showtunes all day.
8. I met my husband through theatre in high school.
9. I hate mowing the lawn...with a passion!
10. I cracked my head open at school during a presentation about Austria.
11. I spoke at my high school graduation.
Now, for the questions for me to answer:
I became a blogger to share my passion for teaching and to learn from others. At my old school, there wasn't a lot of collaboration (except between my sixth grade science teachers and I). I always felt a little out of place, and some teachers seemed to shut out other teachers and not share positive ideas about teaching. I decided to create my own sunshine through blogging, and it has been great!
2. What is your favorite subject/topic to teach and why?
I think this one is obvious...science! :)
My favorite teaching book is The End of Molasses Classes by Ron Clark, and my favorite non-teaching book is Harry Potter and the Deathy Hallows.
4. School lunch or brown bag?
Brown bag all the way!
5. What’s the first thing you do after a long day of teaching?
I unwind best when I'm busy believe it or not. I usually find something to organize or clean, and then my mind is cleared after a day of teaching. Sometimes all I need is a little hot chocolate and some of my favorite T.V. shows to help me relax too!
HA! I wore heels my entire first year...never again! My feet were killing me by the end of the day!
7. How do you keep track of your planning for the semester?
I have a desk calendar where I write deadlines and dates to help me stay on track. This year I can't wait to make my new teacher binder! I get a thrill out of teacher binders. :)
8. What is your favorite tech resource for teaching?
I like Edmodo. It is a great tool to communicate with students and parents!
9. Classroom pets: yes or no?
YES! Sadly, our class fish Einstein died over the summer, so I will buy a new fish or hermit crab to replace him when the new school year starts.
I actually really, really do. :)
11. What is your favorite first week of school activity?
My friend Missy (and Space Camp homie) taught me how to give my students color personality tests! They are so much fun, and I can't wait to do them with my fifth graders!
Shasta from The Loop
Sarah at Teaching is Colorful
Stephanie at Fifth Grade Dugout
Elizabeth at Hodge's Herald
Darleen at Third Grade Love